House of Industry Cemetery

pano_detail_webpage_banner_LM.jpg

Between 1877 and 1947, over 1500 destitute men, women and children sought refuge at the Wellington County House of Industry and Refuge, or the 'Poorhouse' as everyone called it.

Built as an Industrial Farm, the site included a sixty-bed house, thirty acres of crops and a barn for livestock. Many of the inmates were admitted because of poor health or advanced age and had no one to care for them. At the edge of the property, a one-acre cemetery was established for those who had no family to claim their remains at death.

There are 271 men, women and children buried here.
It is a cemetery like no other.

House of Industry Death Certificates


 
The Museum and Archives was presented the 2013 Business Beautification Award by the Centre Wellington Chamber of Commerce for our work on the House of Industry and Refuge cemetery and 1877 Barn. Watch the Video.