Local History of Wellington County

black and white Potrait of the 1st duke of WellingtonWellington County was named after Arthur Wellesley, the First Duke of Wellington.

1838 - The District of Wellington was set apart as a separate District and contained the counties of Wellington, Waterloo, Grey and parts of Dufferin County.

1852 - The United Counties of Waterloo, Wellington and Grey were formed.

1853 - Wellington separated from Waterloo.

 

1854 - Wellington County became an individual entity consisting of the Townships and Towns of Amaranth, Arthur, Eramosa, Erin, Guelph, Guelph (Town), Garafraxa, Maryborough, Nichol, Peel, Pilkington, and Puslinch. The first Wellington County Council meeting was held on January 23, 1854.

In subsequent years, other municipalities joined the County:

  • 1857 - Arthur, Luther, and Minto
  • 1858 - Elora and Fergus
  • 1864 - Orangeville
  • 1866 - Mount Forest
  • 1869 - Garafraxa Township separated into East and West
  • 1872 - Arthur Village
  • 1873 - Harriston
  • 1874 - Clifford Village
  • 1875 - Drayton and Palmerston
  • 1881 - Erin Village

1879 - The City of Guelph separated and became incorporated as a City and was no longer represented on Wellington County Council. Luther Township was divided into East and West. Orangeville and Garafraxa East joined Dufferin County and were no longer represented on Wellington County Council.

1883 - East Luther Township joined Dufferin County.

Black and white photograph of Wellington PlaceAmalgamation in 1999 resulted in the formation of seven new municipalities:

  • Township of Centre Wellington - includes the former towns of Elora and Fergus and the Townships of Nichol, Pilkington and West Garafraxa
  • Town of Erin - includes the Village of Erin and Hillsburgh and the Township of Erin
  • Township of Guelph/Eramosa - includes the Townships of Guelph and Eramosa
  • Township of Mapleton - includes the Village of Drayton and the Townships of Peel Township and Maryborough 
  • Town of Minto - includes the former Towns of Harriston and Palmerston,
    the Village of Clifford and the Township of Minto

  • Township of Puslinch - remained the same
  • Township of Wellington North - includes the Town of Mount Forest, the Village of Arthur and the Townships of West Luther and Arthur.

Visit our Museum and Archives for more rich history on Wellington County.