Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Event Days

Solid Waste Services is very excited to announce a brand new Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) service for County residents. A mobile HHW unit will be making its way to each of the County's six waste facilities. This service will increase the opportunities for residents to divert the full complement of HHW materials from the current from the current seven event days per year to 150 days per year.

The unit will stay at each waste facility for a period of one month before being moved to another County waste facility. The unit will move through all six facilities, and then repeat the cycle

There are two HHW event days this year, one in each municipality without a waste facility within its borders.

Wellington County residents (excludes the City of Guelph) can take HHW materials to either event day at no charge. HHW event days are held on Saturdays and run from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.

2016 Event DaysLocation
May 7

Erin Centre 2000

14 Boland Drive, Erin

October 1

Wellington County Brucedale Roads Garage

8436 Wellington Road 124, Brucedale

Note: Waste electronics will also be accepted at this event day!

Acceptable hazardous materials sample hazardous materials

  • Paint and related products 
    • latex and oil-based paints, enamels, lacquers, varathane, epoxies, primer sealers, resins, wood finishes/preservatives, varnishes, paint thinners, paint strippers, water repellents, aerosol spray paints, linseed oil, stains, liquid waxes, plastic model rubbers/cement, hobby solvents, etc.
  • Indoor household products 
    • cleaners, disinfectants, drain openers, metal cleaners, polishes, bleach, acids, stain removers, rust removers, ammonia, wax strippers
    • photographic chemicals, paint removers, nail polishes and nail polish removers, hair colour
    • adhesives and glues
    • flea sprays/powders, air fresheners, lighter fluid, kerosene, lubricating oils, mothballs,  aerosol cans, etc.
  • Household Batteries - button cell, rechargeable, lithium, alkaline, etc.
  • Fluorescent bulbs, tubes and ballasts
  • Mercury thermometers and thermostats
  • Outdoor Household chemicals
    • pool/spa chemicals, fungicides, insecticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, driveway sealers, aerosol cans, etc.)
  • Medication - prescription and non-prescription drugs
  • Medical Needles and Syringes - medical "sharps" 
  • Automotive Products 
    • antifreeze, motor oil, oil filters, empty motor oil containers, gasoline, brake fluid, transmission fluid, waxes, windshield wiper solution, diesel fuel, etc.
    • Automotive Batteries - including snowmobile, motorcycle, lawnmower, garden tractor, etc.
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Propane Cylinders

General Information

    • containers may not exceed 25 litres - no drums or barrels

      • empty oil containers will be accepted for recycling
    • dry empty containers (except pressurized containers), incandescent light bulbs, and paint brushes/trays/etc., are not considered household hazardous waste

      • dispose of these items with your regular garbage or recyclables, as appropriate
    • hazardous wastes from the Industrial, Commercial, Institutional (ICI) and Agricultural sectors cannot be accepted

      • if you live on a farm, only the HHW materials generated from the household can be accepted
      • for information on proper Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) disposal requirements, contact the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) at or 1-800-565-4923, or MOECC licensed hazardous waste carriers/haulers (listed in telephone books under headings such as Liquid Waste Removal and Waste Management)
    • more options on disposal locations are available on the Make The  Drop and Health Steward websites.