Household Hazardous Waste

Remember to follow the BUD rule:

Buy only what you need

Use it up

Dispose of what remains responsibly


Residents in the County have a number of options to properly dispose of leftover Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) materials. In 2014 alone, County residents kept over 123 metric tonnes (over 271,000 lb.) of hazardous materials out of landfills and water systems through Event Days and Depot collection.


Please choose from the following services available to County residents:

Alkaline Battery Recycling Programme
Through partnership between Solid Waste Services and the County's library branches, County residents can drop their alkaline batteries (up to D size) into Battery Tubes for recycling.

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Event Days
County residents may use any of the seven Event Days held each year. If you live on a farm, only the HHW materials generated from the household can be accepted.

Is your medicine cabinet full of unused or expired medication?

Select HHW Depots
Year-round, Wellington County residents (excludes the City of Guelph) can take selected Household Hazardous Waste materials to five of the County's waste facilities.

It is essential that sharp objects are disposed of using safe practices to reduce the risk of injury to the public and to County or contract employees.


Other Options

County residents may use the City of Guelph facility for HHW disposal. Please contact City of Guelph for details.

More disposal option locations are available for some household hazardous waste materials. Visit the Make The Drop website, ReGeneration website, and the Health Steward website for additional information.