- Resident Services
- Social Services
WHERE TO FIND US (click here).
The original Wellington County Home of Refuge was located on a farm near the Grand River, between Fergus and Elora (Aboyne) in Centre Wellington. The main building was constructed in 1877 as a "Poor House" or place of refuge for the poor, homeless, and destitute people in Wellington County. It operated as a Poor House and Industrial Farm until 1947 when it became Wellington County Home for the Aged. In 1974, the former House of Refuge became the Wellington County Museum and today is the oldest House of Industry and Refuge (link to museum) still standing in Canada.
The second Wellington Terrace was built in 1971, and was home to 176 residents. Recognized as a Home for the Aged, the home served residents in this location for over 30 years. As our resident's needs changed, plans began to rebuild the Wellington Terrace.
In May of 2006, residents, staff and volunteers moved to our current location. Our newest building is located beside the Wellington County Museum and Archives. It is a 140,000 square foot, two story building consisting of six neighbourhoods (resident home areas). We care for approximately 30 residents in each neighbourhood consisting of private and basic accommodation in each. Throughout the home residents have access to chapel, games room, hair salon, Snoezelen room and family suite. The Wellington Room serves as a space for residents use for family gatherings. Outside, there are walking paths, courtyards, roof top gardens, pavilion overlooking our pond. Residents can easily access the County Library and Museum and Archives right next door.
In 2007, the long term care act was enacted and Homes for the Aged in Ontario became Long-Term Care Homes.