Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information and Updates

Information and Updates

Information is changing rapidly. Please check back often for new information and updates.

As of March 23, the County of Wellington and all seven of its member municipalities have declared emergencies in accordance with the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, 1990, as a result of the global COVID-19 pandemic.

County officials are working closely with Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health to respond to the situation. As more information becomes available, the County of Wellington is making additional changes to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Please review the following County operational changes and closures:

Administration Centre

The County of Wellington’s Administration Centre (74 Woolwich Street) is closed to the public until further notice. All non-essential staff will be working from home, and all non-essential County deliveries are to be halted.

Child Care and Learning Centres

All Wellington County Child Care and Learning Centres are closed to the public until further notice.

The County of Wellington is working in partnership with the Ministry of Education and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph to support health care and other frontline workers in Guelph and Wellington with access to licensed child care at no cost during this COVID-19 outbreak.

If you live and/or work in the City of Guelph or Wellington County, please visit for details and to complete our Emergency Child Care Needs Assessment Survey to see if you are eligible for this service. 

County Council and Committee Meetings

All Committee and Council Meetings will continue via teleconference. The public will be able to call in and observe these meetings. Agendas and teleconference information will be posted to the Council and Committee calendar as it becomes available. 

County Garages

 All County Garages are closed to the public until further notice. 

RIDE WELL Rural Transportation Service

RIDE WELL is currently operating but is taking proactive measures to limit further transmission of COVID-19. We have updated our terms and conditions. 

We are asking the public to not book ot enter RIDE WELL vehicles if you have:

  • Two or more symptoms of: Fever, cough, or difficulty breathing.
  • Travelled on a cruise ship or travelled outside Canada in the past 14 days. 
  • If you have had close contact with either a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19.  

Drivers are equipped with disinfectant wipes and sanitizer to wipe down surfaces of the vehicles throughout the day.

Social Services

In an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19, County of Wellington Social Services offices are closed to the public until further notice. Social Services continues to provide service over the phone, by mail and through electronic communication. Please see below for service options.

Dropping off documents
Please use the drop boxes location on the exterior of our office buildings.

Need to contact our staff
Please contact staff directly by phone/email or speak to our reception staff by phone for assistance at 519.837.6274.

Need to apply for assistance
You can apply online or contact us by phone for assistance at 519.837.6274.

Pre-arranged in-person services
Call ahead to arrange a time to visit us to complete the following in-person transactions:

  1. Signing your new lease with Housing
  2. Picking up an assistance cheque

In-person rent payment is not available at this time. We are requesting that all tenants that currently pay in person or use Debit/Interac for rent payments, consider alternate payment options for the next few months. We understand that this may be challenging, and we want to support you where possible. Please visit the County's Social Services webpage for additional details.

We appreciate your understanding and flexibility as we work to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Solid Waste Services

All County Waste Facilities and Re-Use Centres are closed to the public until further notice. The Riverstown Landfill site is open to commercial customers only to assist essential businesses and services.

There are currently no changes to the County of Wellington's curbside collection services. At this time, we are continuing the User Pay Bag programme, asking that residents use County-issued garbage bags. Details on curbside collection can be found at Continuing to require the use of User Pay bags is to support our contractor and ensure that they are able to continue collecting waste materials across the County.

Our staff are making deliveries to our retailers to ensure that User Pay bag inventory remains available. The County is also offering a temporary home delivery service for User Pay garbage bags. Orders can be placed and processed online at Residents unable to access this service online can call 519.837.2601 and arrangements will be made.  

Any other questions can be directed to our Solid Waste Services department at

 Wellington County Library

All Wellington County libraries will be closed to the public until further notice. All room rentals at the Wellington County libraries have been cancelled until at least April 30, 2020. Please note that library due dates will be extended and fines will be waived during the period we are closed. Visit for details.

 Wellington County Museum and Archives

The Wellington County Museum and Archives will be closed to the public until further notice. All facility rentals and PD Day camps (until June) at the Wellington County Museum and Archives have been cancelled. Anyone who rented or signed up for programmes will be given a full refund. The Wellington County Museum and Archives will not be rescheduling any cancelled bookings at this time. Visit to use the WCMA collections tool and explore our online catalogues and databases.

 Wellington Terrace Long Term Care Home

On April 6, the Wellington Terrace confirmed an employee at the Long Term Care Home had tested positive for COVID-19. The employee is experiencing mild symptoms and is recovering in isolation at home. County officials and Wellington Terrace staff immediately responded to the situation with the direction of Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health to limit further transmission of the virus. Additional details available in the April 6,2020 media release.

The Wellington Terrace has received direction from the Ministry of Health regarding visiting restrictions. At this time, all visitors and volunteers are not permitted in the Home. If a resident becomes very ill or requires end-of-life care, the home will make arrangements for visiting.

We recognize the importance of social connection for seniors, please be assured that our team will contact families to determine strategies for you to stay in touch with your loved one.

The Wellington Terrace will continue to post updates as the COVID-19 situation evolves. Subscribe to the Terrace's News and Outbreak Updates page to receive email notifications as they become available.  

For additional information on COVID-19 please visit Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health's Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage.

Additional Resources

As we collectively work through this challenging period together, the County would also like to share helpful resources that are available. We encourage you to visit our COVID-19 Support and Resources page for government resources, and business, agriculture, and economic development supports. 

*Last updated: April 6, 2020 at 11:35 am.

© 2020 County of Wellington, 74 Woolwich St. Guelph, Ontario N1H 3T9, T 519.837.2600, TF 1.800.663.0750, F 519.837.1909