The Jewel : Classic Movie Theatre

Now Open! Wellington County Museum’s Classic Movie Theatre

Be sure to visit our Museum movie theatre which we call The Jewel. Here you will see some seating and original stage curtains from the Palmerston Library theatre, which was located on the top floor of the Palmerston Library. The theatre operated as an opera hall, community centre, and movie theatre from 1905 until 1947. Unused since the 1990s, it was closed and converted into more accessible space for the public during renovations in 1915.

Each plywood seatback had a number plate to correspond to a seating plan. Also, underneath each seat is a wire rack to store a brimmed hat, a very common accessory worn by men in the first half of the 20th century.

The theatre presents a changing selection of on-demand feature-length Hollywood classics as well as popular shorts from the National Film Board of Canada.

Palmerston library theatre, 2015

Palmerston library theatre, 2015

 

 

 


© 2019 County of Wellington, 74 Woolwich St. Guelph, Ontario N1H 3T9, T 519.837.2600, TF 1.800.663.0750, F 519.837.1909