Policies and Permits

A County permit is required for many types of road-related projects. All permits require approximately one to two weeks for processing.

Bridge Restriction By-law

The bridge restriction By-Law Number 5306-12 is used to regulate the weight of vehicles that pass over certain County bridges and culverts. Under the Highway Traffic Act, municipalities with jurisdiction over a bridge may enact a by-law to limit the gross vehicle weight that passes over the bridge.

Download Bridge Restriction By-law

Entrance Policy and Permit

A special permit is required to construct a new entrance or access (e.g., driveway) onto a County Road. The purpose of this application is to ensure that all entrances are constructed in an appropriate location for the safety of the applicant and the motoring public.

Entrance Policy Outlines the Following:

  • Application criteria
  • Types of entrances (field, farm, residential, IC and I, temporary, emergency, public)
  • Location of accesses
  • Design standards
  • Refundable deposits
  • Permit application fees

Download Entrance Policy

NEW Online Application. Please review the above Entrance Policy prior to submitting your application.

Online Entrance Permit Application

If you require a printable version of the Entrance Permit Application or a copy of the Alteration of Entrance By-law, please contact our Roads department at roadspermit@wellington.ca.

Half Load Restrictions

There are some County roads that are susceptible to damaging stress if exposed to heavy loads during "spring break up" period when the road base is at its weakest.

Section 122 of the Highway Traffic Act gives municipality's authority to pass bylaws to restrict axle loading to a maximum of 5 tonne per axle to protect this public asset from the threat of substantial/expensive damage and to set the dates that the load restrictions will apply. The load restrictions apply only when the signs are displayed.

The posting of load restriction may vary, however, the signs are generally posted to restrict loads to 5 tonnes per axle between March 1st and May 15th. Signs will be posted when it is deemed advisable to protect the road base from damage and removed when it is deemed that the restrictions are no longer needed. Vehicles exceeding the 5 tonne per axle load restriction must take alternate routes, or be subject to the penalties described in the Highway Traffic Act.

Download By-law Number 5650-20 Reduced Load Limits

Note: Oversized Load Permits do not apply to County Roads where load restriction signs have been displayed.

View map 

Mailbox Policy

If you are considering installing a new mailbox or replacing an existing mailbox on a County roadside, please contact the Roads Department for specifications.

Oversize / Overweight Permit Application

An Oversize/Overweight Permit is required to move any load (e.g., vehicle, object, structure) on a County Road that exceeds the dimensional or weight limits set out in the Highway Traffic Act.

Generally, an Oversize/Overweight Permit is required if the load is greater than:

  • 2.6 metres wide
  • 23 metres long
  • 4.15 metres high
  • exceeds the maximum allowable unit weight

NEW Online Application

Online Overize/Overweight Permit Application

If you require a printable version of the Oversize/Overweight Permit Application, please contact our Roads department at roadspermit@wellington.ca.

Road Occupancy Permit

A permit is required when any road work is proposed to be performed within the right-of-way of a County of Wellington Road. When applying for a Road Occupancy Permit it is required that a drawing of the proposed work is supplied along with proof of liability insurance naming the County of Wellington as additional insured. Outlined in the permit there are general conditions that the Applicant will be required to follow depending on the activity.

The Road Occupancy Permit is required for the following:

  • Placement of new underground utilities
  • Borehole/Monitoring wells
  • Directional Boring
  • Road Crossings
  • Repair of existing utilities

NEW Online Application

Online Road Occupancy Permit

If you require a printable version of the Occupancy Permit Application, please contact our Roads department at roadspermit@wellington.ca.

Download the Road Occupancy Policy 

Sign By-law and Permit

The County regulates the erection and display of signs and other advertising devices on County roads and within 400 metres of any limit of County roads (except within urban centres as defined by the County of Wellington's Official Plan).

The purpose of the Sign By-law is to:

  • Ensure that signs installed on and adjacent to the County roads are safe and minimize any danger to the traveling public (e.g., signs do not block sight lines from entrances and sideroads)
  • Minimize the number of signs on or adjacent to the County roads (i.e., eliminate sign clutter and sign pollution)
  • Leave the landscape open and to maintain the rural atmosphere of Wellington County

Click here to download the Sign By-law

Click here to download the Sign Permit

For information on erecting a sign on a provincial highway, contact the Ministry of Transportation's Corridor Management Office.

For information on erecting a sign on a local municipal road, contact the municipality directly. Click here for the list of municipalities in Wellington County.

Special Event Permit

If considering an event on a County of Wellington road, a Special Event Permit is required.

The purpose of the Special Event Permit is to ensure that all procedures have been taken to ensure the safety of participants and the motoring public.

A Special Event Permit is required regardless of the time factor involved, on being on a County road, part there of, or an intersection under the jurisdiction of the County of Wellington, even if it is for a matter of a few minutes.

Examples of occasions requiring a permit are parades, community celebrations, recreational events (bike/cycling tours), athletic events (triathlons, road race - running/jogging), or cinematographic events.

Along with a completed Special Event Permit, the following must be forwarded to the Roads Division at least ten business days prior to the event taking place:

  • A map outlining the route of the event
  • A Certificate of Insurance (in the amount of $2,000,000) naming the County of Wellington as an additional insured
  • Correspondence from the local municipality(s) involved expressing their support for the event
  • A letter from the County of Wellington OPP stating they are aware of the event

Download Special Event Permit

Please fax or mail your application with the necessary documents to the Roads Division.

Tile Drains Policy

The purpose of this policy is to ensure that any tile drain that outlets onto or crosses County of Wellington property is not constructed until an adequate outlet has been provided and an agreement in writing has been obtained from all parties who might be affected by run-off water.  This policy is in accordance with the Tile Drainage Act.

Please contact the Roads Department to obtain policy and application.

© 2023 County of Wellington, 74 Woolwich St. Guelph, Ontario N1H 3T9, T 519.837.2600, TF 1.800.663.0750, F 519.837.1909