Newcomer Settlement Services

Settlement Services are funded through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to assist newcomers to Canada access community services and adjust to life in their new community. 

All services are available at no cost to those with Permanent Resident or Convention Refugee status in the County of Wellington and the City of Guelph.   

Our experienced Settlement Workers can help you: 

  • Access an interpreter or translator 
  • Find a place to live 
  • Enroll children in school 
  • Get language training 
  • Find a family doctor 
  • Look for a job and get ready to work 
  • Find and complete forms and applications 
  • Access supports such as medical care, legal and social services 
  • Address transition issues, family and emotional difficulties related to immigration and settlement 
  • Find information about government and community services for newcomers 

Our settlement team can help you in your language and at many different locations around Wellington County and Guelph.   


Newcomer Settlement Services are available to: 

  • Permanent residents of Canada who have not become Canadian citizens 
  • Protected persons as defined by Section 95 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act 
  • Individuals who have been selected, in Canada or overseas, to become permanent residents 
  • Convention refugees and protected persons overseas who have been selected for resettlement in Canada 

We are unable to provide Settlement assistance to prospective newcomers overseas. Settlement Services are provided after arrival in Canada.  

Admission to Canada is strictly regulated through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Information on how to make an application can be found here: Immigrate to Canada - 

Social Services Help Centre

Further assistance is available through programs for housing, childcare, financial assistance and more.

Wellington Welcomes

We asked members of newcomer and immigrant communities to share what it is like to live and work in Wellington County.