Emergency Housing and Energy Supports

COVID-19 Information and Updates

In an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19, County of Wellington Social Services offices are closed to the public until further notice. Social Services continues to provide service over the phone, by mail and through electronic communication. Please see below for service options.

Dropping off documents?
Please use the drop boxes location on the exterior of our office buildings.

Need to contact our staff?
Please contact staff directly by phone/email or speak to our reception staff by phone for assistance at 519.837.6274

Need to apply for assistance?
You can apply online or contact us by phone for assistance at 519.837.6274

Pre-arranged in-person services
Call ahead to arrange a time to visit us to complete the following in-person transactions:
1. Signing your new lease with Housing
2. Picking up an assistance cheque

In-person rent payment is not available at this time.

For all tenants that currently use Debit/Interac for rent payments or pay in person, we request that you would consider alternate options for rent payment for the next few months. This will help us all to maintain safe social distancing, and reduce community transmission of infections. This is a reminder that it is a tenant responsibility to pay rent on time, and we understand this situation may be challenging so we want to support you in making arrangements where possible. Please contact the Housing Services office if you are able to make alternative arrangements to paying rent in person, including but not limited to:
 - Pre-Authorized Payments
 - Cheques; mailed to the office or dropped off at the office mailbox
 - Post-dated cheques (only accepted for rent payments after the first month's rent)
 - Ontario Works (OW) pay direct system
 - Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) pay direct system

We appreciate your understanding and flexibility as we work to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Housing Stability Programme

The Housing Stability Programme (HSP) is available to assist Social Assistance recipients (Ontario Works and/or Ontario Disability Support Program) who are homeless obtain housing, or who are at risk of becoming homeless remain housed.

The amount of HSP available is subject to the following maximums: $800 for a single person or a couple without dependents, and $1500 for a family with children or for a sole support parent over a 24 month period.

HSP can assist with the following expenses:

  • Last month's rent deposits
  • Rent, fuel and hydro arrears
  • Moving costs

Please contact our office for more information about programme eligibility and allowable expenses.  To apply, OW recipients contact their Caseworker to request a referral.  ODSP recipients call the Housing Stability Unit directly at 519.837.2670 x3712.

Emergency Energy Programme

The Emergency Energy Programme (EEP) is available to assist residents of the County of Wellington and the City of Guelph with costs related to heat and hydro utilities. The purpose of the fund is to prevent disconnection of your heat or hydro by assisting with the payment of an outstanding balance owed. For residents who use oil or propane as a primary heating source, the EEP may assist with a minimum fuel fill.

To qualify for this fund, your household must fall under established low-income thresholds and asset levels. Please contact our office for more information about programme eligibility and allowable expenses.

To apply, please contact the Housing Stability Unit at 519.837.2670 x 3712.

Low Income Energy Assistance Programme

The County of Wellington works with Guelph Hydro to administer the LEAP for their eligible residential customers.  LEAP is a grant programme to assist customers who are having difficulty paying arrears or who are at risk of disconnection.  The assistance is only available for emergency situations and is not meant to provide ongoing help to pay your bill.  Please visit the Ontario Energy Board for more information. 


If you would like to apply, please call the Housing Stability Unit at 519.837.2670 x3712.                          

© 2022 County of Wellington, 74 Woolwich St. Guelph, Ontario N1H 3T9, T 519.837.2600, TF 1.800.663.0750, F 519.837.1909